Nehwal Saina clears first hurdle at All England Championship
Birmingham: Saina Nehwal began her All England Badminton Championship campaign with a comfortable win over Scotland`s Kirsty Gilmour here Wednesday. But India`s top male players, Parupalli Kashyap and Kidambi Srikanth, lost their opening round matches.
World No.7 Saina sailed past 20th ranked Gilmour 21-15, 21-6 in 32 minutes at the National Indoor Arena.
The Hyderabadi next faces American qualifier Beiwen Zhang, who got a walkover from Germany`s World No.11 Juliane Schenk.
The second Indian in the women`s singles draw, P.V. Sindhu, plays here first round against Sun Yu of China later Wednesday.
World No.19 Kashyap endured a tough loss against fifth ranked Kenichi Tago of Japan. Tago pipped the Indian 14-21, 21-19, 21-17 in a 75 minute battle.
World No.21 Srikanth also fell flat, losing 11-21, 15-21 to 15th-ranked Kento Memota of Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday