Nehwal Saina clears first hurdle at All England Championship
Birmingham: Saina Nehwal began her All England Badminton Championship campaign with a comfortable win over Scotland`s Kirsty Gilmour here Wednesday. But India`s top male players, Parupalli Kashyap and Kidambi Srikanth, lost their opening round matches.
World No.7 Saina sailed past 20th ranked Gilmour 21-15, 21-6 in 32 minutes at the National Indoor Arena.
The Hyderabadi next faces American qualifier Beiwen Zhang, who got a walkover from Germany`s World No.11 Juliane Schenk.
The second Indian in the women`s singles draw, P.V. Sindhu, plays here first round against Sun Yu of China later Wednesday.
World No.19 Kashyap endured a tough loss against fifth ranked Kenichi Tago of Japan. Tago pipped the Indian 14-21, 21-19, 21-17 in a 75 minute battle.
World No.21 Srikanth also fell flat, losing 11-21, 15-21 to 15th-ranked Kento Memota of Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics