Netherlands ready for tough pool outing in HWL Final
New Delhi: They are placed in a tough Pool B in the Hero Hockey World League (HWL) Final, but London Olympics silver medalist Netherlands are all geared up for the tournament with head coach Paul Vanass insisting that his wards are prepared for the upcoming challenge.
Netherlands have been clubbed alongside Argentina, Australia and Belgium in Pool B in the eight-nation event to be held at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium here from January 10-18, while Pool A consists of reigning Olympic champions Germany, England, hosts India and New Zealand.
"The preparation for the run up to the tournament is going great and the boys are looking forward to the challenge which starts next Friday," Vanass said after a practice session on Saturday.
"The team will be playing against Argentina, Australia and Belgium and we are aware that the latter two are very strong teams and we have to play strictly as per strategy.
"The team has played against them in the past and we have to keep ourselves fit for the clash against Australia and Belgium. We are working on our speed and which we will utilise against them during the match," he said.
"The team composition is not different from the Olympic team, though there are a couple of injuries that has to be taken care of. We are among the top 8 teams in the world and want to play good and challenging hockey and enjoy as the league progresses," Vanass added.
Netherlands are one of the favourites to win the tournament and skipper Robert vander Horst said they are looking forward to utilise their vast experience of playing on Indian soil.
"This is our fourth visit to India and we enjoy playing here. We are in the top 8 hockey playing team of the world and we will try to live up to the expectations of being a strong team. My advice to the boys is to enjoy the league and to not come under any pressure," he said.
Netherlands will open their campaign against Argentina on the first day of the tournament on January 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad