New Delhi to host Thomas and Uber Cup finals
New Delhi: New Delhi will host badminton`s two premier events - the Thomas and the Uber Cup finals - next year.
Earlier on Monday, Badminton Association of India (BAI) president Akhilesh Das Gupta had announced that the finals of both the tournaments would be held in India but a location was not given. There was speculation that apart from New Delhi, Lucknow and Hyderabad were the other choices.
"New Delhi will host the Thomas and Uber Cup finals in 2014. When the bid was made by India they had specified the location as well, like it is in while bidding for Super Series. The official announcement will be made in due course," a Badminton World Federation (BWF) official told IANS here on Thursday.
The national capital is currently hosting the USD 200,000 India Open Super Series at the Siri Fort Sports Complex.
The Thomas Cup (Men`s World Team Championships) was first staged in 1948-49 while the Uber Cup (Women`s World Team Championships) was added in 1956-57.
The Thomas Cup, held every three years, was BWF`s first major international tournament. The Uber Cup finals have been held alongside the men`s competition since 1984 with both taking place biennially since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi