Nine Indian weightlifters to take part in Youth Games
New Delhi: Indian Weightlifting Federation on Wednesday named a nine-member weightlifting team, including four girls, to participate in the 2nd Youth Asian Games to be held at Nanjing, China from August 16.
Chandrika Tarafdar, who last year became the first Indian to win a medal in the Youth World Weightlifting Championships, will spearhead the campaign though the Indians will be taking part in the multi-sport event under the banner of Olympic Council of Asia.
The Indian athletes cannot participate under the national flag after the Indian Olympic Association was banned in December last by the International Olympic Council.
Youth Girls: Chandrika Tarafdar (48kg); Joti Mal (53kg); Sagolsem Thasana Chanu (58kg); Manpreet Kaur (63kg).
Youth Boys: TBC Lalchhanhima I56kg); Akshay Bhagwan Gaikwad (62kg); Lalu Taku (62kg); Sambo Lapung (69kg); Ragala Venkat Rahul (77kg).
Coaches: Girls: Shyamala Shetty, N Kunjarani Devi
Boys: Narendra Kumar, Vijay Sharma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city