Nine Indians shuttlers reach 2nd round of Malaysian GP Gold
Malaysia: Nine Indian shuttlers, including Sourabh Varma and P C Thulasi, advanced to the second round of the men`s and women`s singles competitions in the USD 120,000 Malaysian Grand Prix Gold at Pasir Gudang here today.
Eighth seed Sourabh Varma, who has clinched three titles -- TATA Open, Austrian International Challenge and Iran Fajr International Challenge recently -- prevailed over Hong Kong`s Yan Kit Chan 21-12 21-17 in a 31-minute match.
The 21-year-old Sourabh, national champion in 2011, will next take on 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games bronze medallist compatriot Chetan Anand, who thrashed Indonesia`s Kaesar Akbar 21-11 21-14 in another men`s singles match.
Sixth seed RMV Gurusaidutt defeated compatriot Gaurav Venkat 21-7 21-8 to set up a clash with Malaysian qualifier Seng Zoe Yeoh, while seventh seed H S Prannoy thrashed Malaysia`s Jiann Shiarng Chiang 21-10 21-16 to meet Japan`s Riichi Takeshita in the next round.
Sai Praneeth, seeded 12th, beat Indonesia`s Mahbub Thomi Azizan 21-16 21-11 in another men`s singles match and will next take on local shuttler Nur Mohd Azriyn Ayub.
Young Aditya Prakash also produced a brilliant display to tame Indonesia`s Andre Marteen 21-17 15-21 21-14.
Veterans Anup Sridhar too reached the second round after notching up a 21-11 21-16 win over Indonesia`s Dharma Alrie Guna in another match. He will take on Japan`s Kazumasa Sakai, seedd ninth, in the next round.
In women`s singles, Thulasi and Tanvi Lad advanced to the second round after contrasting victories. While Thulasi had to toil hard before prevailing over Chinese Taipei`s Yu Po Pai 16-21 21-16 21-17, Tanvi beat Indonesia`s Dinar Dyah Ayustine 21-19 21-17 in another match. Thulasi and Tanvi will face off in the next round.
However, it turned out to be a disappointing day for seventh seed and National Games champion Arundhati Pantawane, former national champion Sayali Gokhale and youngsters Mayank Behal and Subhankar Dey.
While Japan`s Yuki Fukushima ended Sayali Gokhale`s journey with a 21-13 21-13 win, National Games winner Arundhati`s gallant fight ended with a 21-12 21-23 19-21 defeat to another Japanese Ayumi Mine.
Mayank lost 12-21 17-21 to Singapore`s Yong Zhao Ashton Chen, while Subhankar suffered a 18-21 9-21 defeat to Teck Zhi Soo of Malaysia in another men`s singles match.
Indian pair of Manu Attri and Sumeeth Reddy B suffered a 11-21 16-21 defeat to sixth seeded Indonesian combo of Fran Kurniawan and Bona Septano in men`s doubles competition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing