Ninth edition of Mumbai marathon kicks off
Mumbai: Over 39,000 people early Sunday kicked off the ninth edition of Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon 2012 from the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) in south Mumbai.
Star participants like model-actor Milind Soman who runs the full marathon every year and business tycoon Anil Ambani who participates in the half marathon this year were seen in full energy as they started off at the coveted run.
"It gives me a great pleasure to participate in the Mumbai marathon every year," Soman said before he began his run.
Also participating in the run this time is Siddharth Mallya, socialite and son of businessman Vijay Mallya.
The Bandra-Worli Sea Link proved to be a major attraction for most runners.
Bollywood actor John Abraham and former tennis player Vijay Amritraj were also present as the two event ambassadors of the marathon.
There is a total purse of $340,000 - with an overall increase of $15,000 for the different categories of winners, including prizes for the top three winners, as compared to 2011.
The marathon, which started from CST, has taken the route to Bandra via the Rajiv Gandhi Bandra-Worli Sea Link, and will take a different route to return to CST.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray