No Khel Ratna to be awarded for year 2014; 15 recommended for Arjuna Award
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The selection committee on Tuesday decided not to recommend any sportsperson for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award this year.
It will be for the first time that no athlete will be conferred the award ever since its inception in 1991.
Vikas Gowda, Krishna Poonia, PV Sindhu, Jeev Milkha Singh, Vikas Devendra were a few names which were in the race.
Kapil Dev headed the 11-member committee which was assigned to short list names for the Arjuna Award and Khel Ratna.
Even as the Khel Ratna is not likely to be conferred on any sportsperson, 15 sportspersons have been recommended by the Selection Committee for the Arjuna Award.
These include Akhilesh Varma (Archery), Tintu Luka (Athletics), HN Girisha (Paralympics), V Diju (Badminton), Geetu Ann Jose (Basketball), Jai Bhagwan (Boxing), R Ashwin (Cricket), Anirban Lahiri (Golf), Mamta Pujari (Kabaddi), Saji Thomas (Rowing), Heena Sidhu (Shooting), Anaka Alankamany (Squash), Tom Joseph (Volleyball), Renubala Chanu (Weightlifting) and Sunil Rana (Wrestling).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO