No medal for Vijay in ISSF World Cup
New Delhi: London Olympic silver medallist Vijay Kumar could not live up to the billing as he failed to qualify for the finals of the 25-metre rapid fire pistol event at the ISSF World Cup in Changwon, Korea on Monday.
The other two Indians participating in the event, Pemba Tamang and Harpreet Singh, too failed to qualify for the medal round.
While Vijay was placed a disappointing 18th in the qualification stage, Tamang and Harpreet did a shade better, finishing 13th and 16th respectively.
Vijay shot 278 in stage 1 and 286 in stage 2 for a total of 564 with the help of 11 x, which was not good enough to take the 27-year-old army shooter from Hamirpur to the medal round.
Pemba Tamang totalled 569 after scoring 280 and 289 in the two stages. He had 16 x to his credit.
Harpreet had a cumulative score of 566 after shooting 280 and 286 with the help of 17 x.
Germany`s Christian Reitz clinched the gold medal while the silver went to Yuehong Li of China. Russia`s Leonid Ekimov bagged the bronze medal after prevailing over countryman Alexander Alifirenko in the shoot-off.
Rahi Sarnobat had last Friday scripted history by becoming the first Indian pistol shooter to clinch a gold medal in the ISSF World Cup when she pipped local hope Kyeongae Kim 8-6 in the final of the 25m sports pistol event.
A day later, Prakash Nanjappa won a bronze in the men`s 10m air pistol event. Prakash shot 180.2 points to outgun 2010 World Champion Tomoyuki Matsuda of Japan, who finished fourth with 158.7 points.
But disappointment was in store for Olympic gold medallist Abhinav Bindra and the likes of Heena Sidhu, Tejaswini Sawant, Lajja Gauswamy, Meena Kumari and Annu Raj Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!