North Korea rewards athletes with luxury apartments
Seoul: "Happy laughter" drifted from deluxe new apartments in North Korea on Friday after some of the country`s top athletes were rewarded for their performances in international competitions.
The North`s KCNA news agency said several athletes, including 2012 Olympic gold medallists Om Yun-chul, An Kum-ae and Kim Un-guk, moved into their luxury new homes along the banks of the Pothong river.
North Korea, which is technically still at war with the South after the 1950-53 Korean War ended in an armistice rather than a peace treaty, often rewards successful athletes with a life of luxury for glorifying the impoverished, repressive state.
Weightlifter Om, who won the 56 kilogram weight class at the London Games, was overcome with emotion and paid tribute to North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and the country`s Songun, or "Military First", philosophy.
"We sportspersons could exalt the dignity and honour of Songun Korea with gold medals in international games thanks to the deep loving care of Kim Jong-un, who has always led us in each match, instilling strength and courage into us," KCNA quoted Om as saying.
Supreme leader Kim, the third of his line to rule North Korea, had "shown so profound loving care and trust" that long-distance runner Kim Kum-ok was moved to tears.
"I could hardly enter the flat as every room of the wonderful flat is associated with the profound loving care of the Marshal and I was deeply touched by the benevolence under the grateful socialist system," she told KCNA.
"I keenly realised once again under what profound loving care we are living."
North Korea, which struggles to feed its people due to a broken economy and heavy U.N. sanctions, won four gold and two bronze medals to finish 20th in the London Games medal table.
South Korea finished fifth with 13 gold, eight silver and seven bronze medals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday