Odisha weightlifters to participate in Asian championship
Berhampur: Two weightlifters from Odisha are participating in the Asian Youth (boys and girls) and Junior Men`s Weightlifting Championships 2012, organised by the Myanmar Weightlifting Federation.
Arun Santa of Sports Hostel, Berhampur, and Achyutanand Sahu, along with their coach Sita Prasad Patnaik have already left for Myanmar for the ongoing eight-day championships which began on Monday.
Santa will participate in both youth and junior categories while Sahu will participate in junior category.
The age limits for the youth, junior and senior categories are 16 years. 16-20 years and above 20 years, respectively. Santa and Sahu are among the eight weightlifters from across India participating in the international event.
"There are eight weightlifters from across the country and two of them are from Odisha," Coach Patnaik said before leaving for Myanmar.
Indian women weightlifters will, however, not participate in the event.
The weightlifters practised for over four months at the India camp in Patiala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore