Olympic champion Farah reveals getting grilled by US officials as ‘terror suspect’
London: Double Olympic gold medallist Mo Farah has revealed how he was interrogated by U.S. border officials at the airport on suspicion of being a terrorist just because of his Somalian origin.
Farah, who was awarded a CBE in the New Year`s honours list, claimed he was heaved before guards while entering the country for a holiday this Christmas, the Daily Mail reports.
Farah said he even resorted to showing his Olympic medals in an effort to prove who he was, the paper added.
On a previous visit to the country, Farah disclosed that he was asked to leave before receiving a letter explaining that he was under investigation as a terrorist threat, the paper reported.
Farah, who moved to the UK with his British-born father aged only eight, said he couldn’t believe that he was detained just because of Somalian origin.
Farah, whose triumphs in the 5,000 metre and 10,000 metre races provided two of the most exciting moments of London 2012, trains in the U.S.
After failing to qualify for the 2008 Olympics he moved his wife Tania and daughter Rihanna to Portland to work with legendary coach Alberto Salazar at Nike`s headquarters, but the runner said that he had encountered problems with border officials previously too, the paper concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?