Olympic champion Farah reveals getting grilled by US officials as ‘terror suspect’
London: Double Olympic gold medallist Mo Farah has revealed how he was interrogated by U.S. border officials at the airport on suspicion of being a terrorist just because of his Somalian origin.
Farah, who was awarded a CBE in the New Year`s honours list, claimed he was heaved before guards while entering the country for a holiday this Christmas, the Daily Mail reports.
Farah said he even resorted to showing his Olympic medals in an effort to prove who he was, the paper added.
On a previous visit to the country, Farah disclosed that he was asked to leave before receiving a letter explaining that he was under investigation as a terrorist threat, the paper reported.
Farah, who moved to the UK with his British-born father aged only eight, said he couldn’t believe that he was detained just because of Somalian origin.
Farah, whose triumphs in the 5,000 metre and 10,000 metre races provided two of the most exciting moments of London 2012, trains in the U.S.
After failing to qualify for the 2008 Olympics he moved his wife Tania and daughter Rihanna to Portland to work with legendary coach Alberto Salazar at Nike`s headquarters, but the runner said that he had encountered problems with border officials previously too, the paper concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’