Olympic champion Merritt fails doping tests
London: Olympic and world 400 metres champion LaShawn Merritt has failed three doping tests for a banned substance and accepted a provisional suspension, his lawyer said.
"LaShawn Merritt has accepted a provisional suspension as a result of positive drug tests caused by his use of an over-the-counter male enhancement product," the American athlete`s attorney Howard Jacobs said in a statement.
"His voluntary acceptance of a provisional suspension means that he has chosen not to compete until the case has been decided," the statement added.
The US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) confirmed the positives contained prohormones of the banned male sex hormone testosterone and said in an email to Reuters its investigation of Merritt`s case was continuing. It will have no further comment until the legal process was complete, a spokeswoman said.
Should the 23-year-old receive a standard two-year suspension, it would prevent him defending his world title next year and seriously hamper his preparations for the 2012 Olympics.
"I am disgusted by this entire episode," USA Track & Field (USATF) chief executive Doug Logan said in a statement.
Merritt won individual 400 metres gold at the 2008 Olympics and 2009 world championships and led the US to victory in the 4x400 metres relay in both competitions.
His victory by almost a second over defending champion Jeremy Wariner at the Beijing Games was the largest winning margin in the event for over 100 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- IIT Guwahati student found hanging at hostel room
- Hyundai Motors cars fitted with defective air bags?
- Jayalalithaa seeks PM's intervention for release of 34 fishermen held by Lanka
- Indian Premier League, Match 27: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore — As it happened...
- Whoa! 'Main Hoon Na' sequel on cards?