Olympic champion Rudisha doubtful for World title defence
Nairobi: Olympic 800 metres champion David Rudisha may fail to defend his World title in Moscow as he is struggling to get fit from a knee injury suffered in New York in June.
His coach Colm O`Connell said Wednesday that he still needs a week to analyse the progress of his rehabilitation before he can confirm Rudisha`s availability for the World Championships which starts Aug 10, reports Xinhua.
"Rudisha is going on well with his rehabilitation. What I cannot confirm now is if at all he will be able to resume training in time for the World Championships," said O`Connell.
O`Connel said that he is monitoring Rudisha`s progress keenly and will communicate any news to Athletics Kenya (AK) in a weeks time to allow them to have enough time to prepare for any eventuality. The certain thing is that Rudisha will not be parading here Saturday when Kenya trials for the World Championships.
However, as Rudisha is among the seven gold medallists Kenya had in Daegu in 2011, he is entitled to an automatic entry to the Championships in Moscow on condition that his national federation enters his name.
"The good thing is that Rudisha has got a wild card in Moscow," said his coach.
Rudisha was injured in June while running in New York`s Central Park which forced him to pull out of the Diamond League meeting in Eugene. He has not raced since.
Alongside Rudisha, Kenya won gold in Daegu through Edna Kiplagat (marathon), Ezekiel Kemboi (3,000m steeplechase), Asbel Kiprop (1,500m), Vivian Cheruiyot (10,000 and 5,000m) and Abel Kirui (marathon).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users