Olympic champion Zanetti threatens nationality switch
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil`s Olympic gymnastics champion Arthur Zanetti has threatened to switch nationalities in a bid to successfully defend his London 2012 gold medal at the Rio 2016 Games.
Zanetti became the first Brazilian to win an Olympic gymnastics medal when he eclipsed China`s defending champion Chen Yibing for gold in the men`s rings event last August.
But despite the promise of new investments in the sport by Brazilian officials, Zanetti says he is exasperated by the poor state of gymnastics in his homeland.
"When I won the gold medal in London everybody said my life was going to change but it hasn`t changed at all," Zanetti told TV Globo Sunday.
"I have already begun thinking about competing for another country if the opportunity arises. I would do it with a broken heart, because I am Brazilian and I like to be Brazilian. But if another country offered me what I needed, I would go."
Zanetti, who trains at the the Sao Caetano do Sul gymnasium in Sao Paulo, is forced to share facilities with 300 other gymnasts.
Despite a wave of interest from aspiring new athletes following the London Olympics, the club has been forced to turn away potential members due to a lack of investments.
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) allows an athlete to represent a new country at the Games three years after changing nationality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended