Olympic double medallist Sita Sahu forced to sell `gol gappas` at roadside eatery
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Sita Sahu, a double Olympian medallist, has to struggle to make ends meet selling `gol gappas` due to official apathy resulting in financial crunch.
The 15-year-old made India proud by winning a bronze medal each in the 200 and 1600 meter race in 2011 Athens Special Olympics.
According to reports, Social justice minister Gopal Bhargava had announced cash prizes for the winners of the medals - Rs 1 lakh for gold, Rs 75,000 for silver and Rs 50,000 for bronze. Hence, Sita, on account of her two bronze medals, should have received Rs 1 lakh.
But the promise is yet to be fulfilled and instead of practicing to sharpen her skills, the teenager’s talent is being wasted in making ‘gol gappas`.
“They promised her the moon, but nothing has come her way. Now we have decided to teach her other skills that would fetch money,” Sita’s mother was quoted as saying by a leading Indian newspaper on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read