Olympic silver medallist shot in Russia
Makhachkala (Russia): A Russian wrestler who won a silver medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics was hospitalised with gunshot wounds on Sunday in the country`s troubled southern province of Dagestan.
Bakhtiyar Akhmedov, who lost the final of the 120kg division to Artur Taymazov in Beijing, was shot in the stomach and taken to a clinic in the capital Makhachkala, his coach said.
"The circumstances surrounding the incident are being investigated," Imammurza Aliev said.
Local police told RIA Novosti only that a man by the name of Bakhtiyar had been admitted to hospital with gunshot wounds.
There were no other details.
Gun violence in Dagestan is common. The province is Russia`s poorest and suffers from an illusive Islamist insurgency that spilled over after two wars in nearby Chechnya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Hillary Clinton makes history as first woman White House nominee
- Venezuela government seeks to ban opposition over recall 'fraud'
- WHO declares Brazil free of measles
- Lok Sabha passes child labour Bill despite opposition from children's rights activists
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister