Olympic silver medallist shot in Russia
Makhachkala (Russia): A Russian wrestler who won a silver medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics was hospitalised with gunshot wounds on Sunday in the country`s troubled southern province of Dagestan.
Bakhtiyar Akhmedov, who lost the final of the 120kg division to Artur Taymazov in Beijing, was shot in the stomach and taken to a clinic in the capital Makhachkala, his coach said.
"The circumstances surrounding the incident are being investigated," Imammurza Aliev said.
Local police told RIA Novosti only that a man by the name of Bakhtiyar had been admitted to hospital with gunshot wounds.
There were no other details.
Gun violence in Dagestan is common. The province is Russia`s poorest and suffers from an illusive Islamist insurgency that spilled over after two wars in nearby Chechnya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- GSGMC demands to remove DU book's chapter calling Bhagat Singh a terrorist
- Bizarre selfie craze: 15-year-old boy shoots self in Pathankot, lands in hospital
- Quota stir in Gujarat phase-II: Hardik Patel's PAAS to begin 'lollipop Mahotsav' protest from today
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video