Olympic silver medallist shot in Russia
Makhachkala (Russia): A Russian wrestler who won a silver medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics was hospitalised with gunshot wounds on Sunday in the country`s troubled southern province of Dagestan.
Bakhtiyar Akhmedov, who lost the final of the 120kg division to Artur Taymazov in Beijing, was shot in the stomach and taken to a clinic in the capital Makhachkala, his coach said.
"The circumstances surrounding the incident are being investigated," Imammurza Aliev said.
Local police told RIA Novosti only that a man by the name of Bakhtiyar had been admitted to hospital with gunshot wounds.
There were no other details.
Gun violence in Dagestan is common. The province is Russia`s poorest and suffers from an illusive Islamist insurgency that spilled over after two wars in nearby Chechnya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official