Olympics at risk from cons: Interpol chief
London: Interpol Director Ron Noble believes the London Olympics face danger from various illegal betting syndicates who can try to lure athletes into fixing events. Noble warned organizers to be wary of such groups.
“I`ve got to believe since it`s occurring so much in football and other sports we have reason to believe there is a risk of it occurring in the Olympics,” the BBC quoted Noble, as saying.
“The president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has said that he and the Olympics should be concerned about irregular or illegal betting occurring in the context of the Olympics,” he added.
He also stressed on the need for rigid border controls to eliminate any threat to the Olympics. “Border checks are always a security concern when it comes to a country hosting a major international event. All major events such as Olympics require enhanced border checks,” he said.
The Olympics, to be held from July 27 to August 12 this year, will represent Britain’s largest ever-peacetime security operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre