Olympics: Pakistan and Ecuador threatened with IOC ban
Karachi: The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has threatened Pakistan and Ecuador with suspension from the Olympic family because of political interference in their National Olympic Committees (NOC).
Although neither country has been suspended but the IOC has warned them to make changes in their attitude towards the NOCs in order to avoid an eventual suspension.
According to a IOC statement, the Executive Board had noted that the situation of the Olympic movement, particularly in Pakistan, has deteriorated due to the creation of a parallel body to the NOC by a group of federations supported by the government authorities, in particular the Pakistan Sports Board.
The statement further said that Pakistan would be suspended from the Olympic movement with all consequences if the parallel body continued to disrupt the operations of the legitimate POA ( Pakistan Olympic Association) by organising new elections outside the POA and by preventing the POA from exercising its activities as foreseen by the Olympic charter.
Ecuador has also come under the scanner for similar reasons, adding that the .IOC is trying to safeguard the elections to ensure that they are not manipulated by Government officials.
The IOC previously suspended India last December for government interference while the situation in Sierra Leone, where the country`s sports minister suspended the local Olympic Committee, is under surveillance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31