Olympics: Pakistan and Ecuador threatened with IOC ban
Karachi: The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has threatened Pakistan and Ecuador with suspension from the Olympic family because of political interference in their National Olympic Committees (NOC).
Although neither country has been suspended but the IOC has warned them to make changes in their attitude towards the NOCs in order to avoid an eventual suspension.
According to a IOC statement, the Executive Board had noted that the situation of the Olympic movement, particularly in Pakistan, has deteriorated due to the creation of a parallel body to the NOC by a group of federations supported by the government authorities, in particular the Pakistan Sports Board.
The statement further said that Pakistan would be suspended from the Olympic movement with all consequences if the parallel body continued to disrupt the operations of the legitimate POA ( Pakistan Olympic Association) by organising new elections outside the POA and by preventing the POA from exercising its activities as foreseen by the Olympic charter.
Ecuador has also come under the scanner for similar reasons, adding that the .IOC is trying to safeguard the elections to ensure that they are not manipulated by Government officials.
The IOC previously suspended India last December for government interference while the situation in Sierra Leone, where the country`s sports minister suspended the local Olympic Committee, is under surveillance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani