Olympics: Pakistan and Ecuador threatened with IOC ban
Karachi: The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has threatened Pakistan and Ecuador with suspension from the Olympic family because of political interference in their National Olympic Committees (NOC).
Although neither country has been suspended but the IOC has warned them to make changes in their attitude towards the NOCs in order to avoid an eventual suspension.
According to a IOC statement, the Executive Board had noted that the situation of the Olympic movement, particularly in Pakistan, has deteriorated due to the creation of a parallel body to the NOC by a group of federations supported by the government authorities, in particular the Pakistan Sports Board.
The statement further said that Pakistan would be suspended from the Olympic movement with all consequences if the parallel body continued to disrupt the operations of the legitimate POA ( Pakistan Olympic Association) by organising new elections outside the POA and by preventing the POA from exercising its activities as foreseen by the Olympic charter.
Ecuador has also come under the scanner for similar reasons, adding that the .IOC is trying to safeguard the elections to ensure that they are not manipulated by Government officials.
The IOC previously suspended India last December for government interference while the situation in Sierra Leone, where the country`s sports minister suspended the local Olympic Committee, is under surveillance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks