Oman stun Bangladesh 4-1 to stay in hunt
Ipoh: Debutants Oman sent higher-ranked Bangladesh out of the semifinal race while keeping their hopes alive with a stunning 4-2 win in a Pool B match of the ninth Asia Cup hockey tournament here on Monday.
By virtue of this victory, 36th ranked Oman avenged their 1-4 drubbing at the hands of the same opponents in the FIH World League Round 2 in New Delhi earlier this year.
Oman were content playing the waiting game and the 31st-ranked Bangladesh looked out of sorts.
Oman capitalised on Bangaldesh`s fragile backline and scored through Hashim Ghanim Ramadan Al Shatri (29th), Mohammad Hoobais Al Shar (43rd), Rajab Bhasin Khatar (45th, 59th) to register the upset win and their first points in the tournament.
For Bangaldesh, Mohammad Roman Sarkar (53rd) and captain Md Mamunur Rahman Chayan (69th) were the goal-getters.
Bangladesh were undone by the poor work of their forwards who failed to utilise the opportunities that came their way.
Oman were cautious in their approach but when scoring opportunities came their way they grabbed it with both hands.
Oman took the lead from one such opportunity through a field goal from Hashim Ghanim Ramadan Al Shatri as Bangladesh defence was caught napping.
Oman doubled their lead in the 43rd minute through Mohammad Hoobais Al Shar, who converted their first penalty corner.
Two minutes later, Oman once again caught Bangladesh off-guard and increased their lead with a field goal through Rajab Bhasin Khatar.
Bangladesh, however, managed to reduce the margin in the 53rd minute with a field goal from Mohammad Roman Sarkar.
Oman earned back-to-back penalty corners in the 58th minute and Khatar converted one to score his second goal of the day and help his side restore the three-goal lead.
Bangladesh pulled another back in the dying moments of the match through a penalty corner conversion by skipper Chayan, but it was not enough to save them from humiliation.
Oman will next play defending champions Korea in the last pool engagement on Wednesday while Bangladesh will be up against two-time champions India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'