One-day schools chess to celebrate Anand`s birthday
Mumbai: A one-day inter-schools chess tournament for children ranging from tiny tots to high school students is to be held at the Oberoi International School here on December 18 to celebrate the birthday of chess wizard Vishawanathan Anand.
Though Anand`s birthday falls on December 11, the organisers - Chanakya Chess Club and Bombay Chess Association - have decided to hold the "Mega Chess Festival" one week later at suburban Goregaon.
"We are perhaps the only organisation that conducts chess events for under 6 age group and children as young as three and a half have taken part," said Dhananjay Ramraje of Chanakya Chess Club at a media conference today, adding that 40 schools were taking part in the tournament.
Host school`s Germany-born head Andreas Swobada, said that an analytical sport like chess "will undoubtedly help students to harness cheir skills and help in their all-round development."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!