One gold for India in Azerbaijan boxing tourney
New Delhi: Reigning junior national champion Aman Indora (56kg) clinched India`s only gold as the country finished third in the A Agalarov Cup youth boxing tournament in Baku, Azerbaijan.
The 18-year-old defeated Uzbek boxer Abdujabbarov Azizbek 4-1 in the final to bag the top honours and that too in his very first international tournament.
A Silambarasan (52kg) and Kailash Gill (75kg) also made the final but had to settle for silver medals after losing to their respective opponents. Abhishek Beniwal (81kg) was the fourth Indian boxer to clinch a medal at the tournament -- a bronze after losing in the round of four.
Indora qualified for the finals after registering a brilliant victory over local lad Orkhan Aliyev of the Azerbaijan A team.
The Haryana state junior champion was elated with his performance and stated, "It was a very exciting tournament and I am very happy with the way I fought throughout. I am thankful to my coaches for helping me prepare well and win the gold medal."
Silambarasan, who recently won the gold at the 2012 Indo-Sri Lanka Duel Boxing Championship in Colombo, lost 2-3 to Yusifuda Masud of Azerbaijan.
Gill, a former junior national champion, lost 0-5 to Zakirov Roman of Uzbekistan.
Out of the six Indian boxers that participated in the event, four were able to manage a podium finish.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues