Orissa eves shine at National Weightlifting Championship
Berhampur (Orissa): Orissa women weightlifters had a great outing at the National Weightlifting Championship as they managed to bag eight gold medals.
Women lifters, including Tikina Gopal and Minati Sethi (Railways) won three gold medals each in the five-day national meet, while Sita Jena claimed two gold.
There were 15 participants from Orissa including eight men and seven women.
While Gopal and Sethi bagged three gold in 53kg and 58kg categories respectively, Jena defeated Rajwant Kaur of Punjab to clinch two gold in clean and jerk and total in 63kg category.
"We are very proud to get gold in our home town," said Gopal and Jena.
Meanwhile, Commonwealth Games gold medallist K Ravi Kumar who could not participate in the event due to illness, expressed his disappointment.
"Due to injuries in my shoulder, I could not participated in the event, which was held in my home town," a disappointed Ravi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees