Orissa eves shine at National Weightlifting Championship
Berhampur (Orissa): Orissa women weightlifters had a great outing at the National Weightlifting Championship as they managed to bag eight gold medals.
Women lifters, including Tikina Gopal and Minati Sethi (Railways) won three gold medals each in the five-day national meet, while Sita Jena claimed two gold.
There were 15 participants from Orissa including eight men and seven women.
While Gopal and Sethi bagged three gold in 53kg and 58kg categories respectively, Jena defeated Rajwant Kaur of Punjab to clinch two gold in clean and jerk and total in 63kg category.
"We are very proud to get gold in our home town," said Gopal and Jena.
Meanwhile, Commonwealth Games gold medallist K Ravi Kumar who could not participate in the event due to illness, expressed his disappointment.
"Due to injuries in my shoulder, I could not participated in the event, which was held in my home town," a disappointed Ravi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself