Oscar Pistorius brings US investigators in to legal team
Paralympic star Oscar Pistorius has enlisted a team of forensic investigators from the United States for his murder trial which begins next year, his spokeswoman said Tuesday.
The investigators will work with his defence team to beef up his defence against charges he murdered his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on February 14.
Annelise Burgess confirmed the arrival of the investigators saying "it was standard practice to work with experts during the preparation of any trial."
Burgess could not give further details about the group`s work.
The sprinter`s trial is set for March 3 to 20 at the Pretoria High Court.
The double amputee athlete known as "Blade Runner" is currently out on bail.
He has admitted to killing Steenkamp but has denied murder, saying he shot her through a locked bathroom door because he thought she was an intruder.
The state has alleged she was murdered and that it was premeditated.
Questions have been repeatedly raised about the police`s handling of the case and of forensic evidence, which is likely to be key given the lack of witnesses.
The killing sent shockwaves across South Africa and has drawn massive international interest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly