Oscar Pistorius due to give evidence as murder trial resumes
Pretoria: South African Paralympic and Olympic track star Oscar Pistorius is expected to take the stand for the first time on Monday in a bid to prove his innocence against charges he murdered his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
Pistorius, nicknamed the "Blade Runner" due to the carbon-fibre prosthetic limbs he uses in competition, is accused of killing Steenkamp deliberately by firing four rounds from a 9 mm pistol through a locked toilet door after an argument.
The track star has pleaded not guilty, saying he mistook 29-year-old model and law graduate Steenkamp for an intruder hiding in the toilet at his luxury Pretoria home.
Pistorius is expected to be one of the first witnesses called when his defence team begins laying out its case after a break of more than a week due to the illness of a court official. The prosecution wrapped up its case on March 25.
If found guilty of murder, Pistorius faces at least 25 years in prison.
The trial has gripped South Africa and millions of athletics fans around the world who saw Pistorius as a symbol of triumph over physical adversity.
The sprinter`s lower legs were amputated as a baby but he went on to achieve global fame as the "fastest man on no legs," winning gold medals at the Beijing and London Paralympics, and reaching the semi-finals of the 400 metres in the London Olympics against able-bodied athletes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM