Oscar Pistorius storms out of BBC interview
London: Oscar Pistorius stormed out of a radio interview on Tuesday after being asked if he considered himself "an inconvenient embarrassment" to athletics authorities.
Double amputee Pistorius, known as the `Blade Runner`, became the first Paralympian to win an able-bodied World Championship medal on Saturday when he helped South Africa take silver in the 4x400 metres relay. However, he was controversially dropped from the final after running in the heats in Daegu, a decision that upset the 24-year-old.
And he was angered again on Tuesday morning when asked on BBC Radio Four how his participation might be viewed by South African authorities and the IAAF, who were forced to allow him to take part in able-bodied events by a Court of Arbitration for Sport ruling three years ago.
Interviewer Rob Bonnet asked: "Some people regard you, no doubt, as an inspiration to Paralympic athletes, no question about that."
"But it might also be said that you`re an inconvenient embarrassment to the South African authorities and the IAAF because, effectively, you`re taking them into uncharted ethical waters here. What`s your reaction to that?"
Pistorius replied: "I think that`s an insult to me and I think this interview is over."
Bonnet protested his question was not intended as an "insult" but Pistorius hit back: "That is an insult. Thank you very much."
Pistorius also rejected fellow Paralympic legend Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson`s call for him to be prevented from running at the 2012 Games if he competes at the Olympics.
Grey-Thompson said last week: "If he makes the Olympics then his 400m event should not be run at the Paralympics because the Paralympics should never be a B final."
Asked if he could see her point of view, Pistorius said: "Absolutely not - not at all." Indeed, the 100m, 200m and 400m Paralympic champion is determined to double up next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof