Oscar Pistorius will be welcomed to compete at Rio if he's declared eligible
Convicted Oscar Pistorius would be welcomed by Brazilian Olympic and Paralympic organisers to compete at the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro if the double amputee athlete is declared eligible.
Wellington: Convicted Oscar Pistorius would be welcomed by Brazilian Olympic and Paralympic organisers to compete at the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro if the double amputee athlete is declared eligible.
Pistorius began a five-year jail sentence last week for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, but he could be released after 10 months. However, both South Africa's Olympic committee and Paralympic officials have said that the athlete can't compete for the full five years of his jail sentence.
Rio communications director Mario Andrada said on Tuesday that it's not for them to judge Pistorius personally, Stuff.co.nz reported.
Andrada said that the Blade Runner was judged by the South African judicial system, and as soon as he fulfils his obligations with that system he would be a free man and a free man is entitled to compete wherever he wants.
Andrada also said that they have to keep both families in their prayers and thoughts, adding that it was a tragedy, but Pistorius would be welcome in Brazil like anybody else.
Pistorius, who was found guilty of culpable homicide of Steenkamp, was the first amputee to compete alongside able-bodied runners at the Olympics when he ran in the 400 metres and 4x400 relay in London in 2012.
The 'Blade Runner' then ran at the Paralympics, winning gold in the 400 metres and the 4x100, the report added.