Our aim will be to get back to winning ways: Limba
Kolkata: National coach Limba Ram feels that the Asian Grand Prix beginning today in Bangkok will provide an ideal platform to test the Indian archers ahead of the all important Olympic qualifiers.
"There will be plenty on offer in Bangkok, but our main aim is for the men`s team to get back to winning ways. They are doing well in practice, but it`s different when they compete at international level," Limba said.
"The Asian GP will provide an ideal platform to test them ahead of the World Cup," he said.
India`s women`s team of Deepika Kumari, Laishram Bombayla Devi and Chekrovolu Swuro have already booked their berth for the upcoming London Olympics, but the real worry for the coach remains the men`s category, where only Jayanta Talukdar has made the cut so far.
The women`s team got their ticket to the Olympic in the World Championship last year when they managed to beat Korea in the finals.
"They (women`s team) were consistent last year. If they replicate their last year`s performance, then I`m sure an Olympic medal in archery will be a reality. I just hope they start positively in the Asian GP," Limba said.
The real challenge, however, would be a victory for the struggling men`s team with the Archery Association of India bringing back Mangal Singh Champia and Rahul Banerjee for the season opener.
The Padma Shree awardee said the team would be put to test during the April 10-15 archery World Cup in Shangai, which will also be a qualifier for the marquee event.
"The World Cup in Shanghai will be the first tournament this year where they will compete against the best archers from Korea, Italy and China. A good performance in the World Cup will keep them on course for our first Olympic medal," he said.
The men`s team, though, will have one last chance to book a berth for the London Games when they compete for quota places in the third World Cup to be held in Ogden from July 18-24, one month prior to the Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued