Our aim will be to get back to winning ways: Limba
Kolkata: National coach Limba Ram feels that the Asian Grand Prix beginning today in Bangkok will provide an ideal platform to test the Indian archers ahead of the all important Olympic qualifiers.
"There will be plenty on offer in Bangkok, but our main aim is for the men`s team to get back to winning ways. They are doing well in practice, but it`s different when they compete at international level," Limba said.
"The Asian GP will provide an ideal platform to test them ahead of the World Cup," he said.
India`s women`s team of Deepika Kumari, Laishram Bombayla Devi and Chekrovolu Swuro have already booked their berth for the upcoming London Olympics, but the real worry for the coach remains the men`s category, where only Jayanta Talukdar has made the cut so far.
The women`s team got their ticket to the Olympic in the World Championship last year when they managed to beat Korea in the finals.
"They (women`s team) were consistent last year. If they replicate their last year`s performance, then I`m sure an Olympic medal in archery will be a reality. I just hope they start positively in the Asian GP," Limba said.
The real challenge, however, would be a victory for the struggling men`s team with the Archery Association of India bringing back Mangal Singh Champia and Rahul Banerjee for the season opener.
The Padma Shree awardee said the team would be put to test during the April 10-15 archery World Cup in Shangai, which will also be a qualifier for the marquee event.
"The World Cup in Shanghai will be the first tournament this year where they will compete against the best archers from Korea, Italy and China. A good performance in the World Cup will keep them on course for our first Olympic medal," he said.
The men`s team, though, will have one last chance to book a berth for the London Games when they compete for quota places in the third World Cup to be held in Ogden from July 18-24, one month prior to the Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'