Over 500 entries for Indian Jr Open squash
Chennai: The Rs.5 lakh Indian Junior Open will be held at the Indian Squash Academy here from Aug 23-27, with the tournament receiving a record 503 entries as against 320 last year.
The tournament is a Squash Rackets Federation of India (SRFI), Asian Junior Super Series and World Junior Circuit event with competitions in five age groups each for boys and girls. The participants will receive World Squash Federation (WSF) (U-19), Asian Squash Federation (ASF) (all categories) and SRFI ranking points (four star).
Overseas response has come in from Malaysia, Singapore, the United States, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Nepal and Bahrain, according to a press release here Thursday.
Matches will be held on eight courts, four of which have been totally re-done in view of the World University Games which follows the IJO.
Much of home interest will centre around Kush Kumar who became the first Indian male to earn a bronze at the World Junior Championship in Namibia last week and will be defending his title as the top seed in the U-19 category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise