Over-reaction to security issues spoiled CWG cycling event: UCI
Mumbai: The overreaction to security issue and the decision to keep spectators away spoiled the cycling event during the Delhi Commonwealth Games, International Cycling Union (UCI) President Pat McQuaid said.
"The UCI was involved with the organisers in the build up to the Commonwealth Games though I was not personally there. I felt cycling was spoiled following an over-reaction to security," McQuaid said an interview.
"A bigger crowd could have been allowed. But I feel it was due to lack of experience. With more experience such things would not have happened," he said.
"However, the successful organisation of the CWG, would act as catalyst not just for cycling but for other sports as well. Otherwise it has been only cricket, cricket, cricket in India. But India will have to continue to organise big tournaments to reap the fruit of the Commonwealth Games."
McQuaid further said that it was disappointing to see that the world-class velodrome built for the Games, has not been used even once by the Cycling Federation of India (CFI) once the Games were over.
"It`s a shame that the velodrome has not been used by the CFI," he said adding that the CFI, in association with the Asian Cycling Confederation, should try to organise more competitions in the valedrome.
"However, the organisation of big events would have no point without development at the grassroots," he said.
The country`s first timber track cycling velodrome, with a seating capacity of 3200 people, constructed at an expense of Rs 150 crore, was inaugurated just before the Commonwealth Games after many delays.
It eventually took 17 months to build the stadium, which has been certified by the UCI as category 1 velodrome.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid