Paddler Shamini refuses to play, coach complains to TTFI
New Delhi: Indian women team`s coach Bhawani Mukherjee on Tuesday accused reigning national champion K Shamini of shirking away from taking on top players and has lodged a complaint with the TTFI about her "lackadaisical attitude."
Mukherjee informed that Shamini today refused to play against England in the team championship semi-final as she was pitted against higher-ranked players.
"She (Shamini) said that "Sir, I am not comfortable playing Joanna Parker (rank 135) nor she was willing to play Kelly Sibley (225). Her attitude totally surprised me," Mukherjee told PTI today.
The 24-year-old girl, in the team meeting last night, told Mukherjee that she was low on confidence for the next match leaving the national coaching with no opportunity but to field Madhurika Patkar in her place.
"If she can`t play against higher ranked opponents what is she doing in the team? I have told TTFI about her lackadaisical attitude. We don`t want such players to represent our national side," a fuming Mukherjee stated after Indian eves lost 2-3 to England.
Mukherjee said that he will now have to consider whethet Shamini is fit to be included in the squad to Paris.
"We will have to seriously think if she deserves to go to Paris. We are contemplating withdrawing her name," he said.
Earlier, in the quarterfinal league stage also Shamini, who is ranked 275 in the world, had expressed her uneasiness in playing Singaporean paddlers.
The Chennai girl was part of the four member group that went for a coaching camp in China.
"On her return, she told us that she was fine and injury had been healed. That is why she was retained in the team," Mukherjee added.
However, Shamini said it was a team decision to bench her as she had struggled against Sibley on earlier occasions. The Englishwoman had comprehensively beaten her twice ? Commonwealth Games and World Championships.
"It was decided that Madhurika will play this time around as their players were comfortable against me. It was a conscious decision to bench me," Shamini said in her defence.
In these team championships here, Shamini played four matches against paddlers who were ranked well below her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends