Pak junior hockey team not nervous about playing in India
New Delhi: Pakistani players had to return without playing a single match in Hockey India League early this year but their junior team is not `nervous` about coming to India for the upcoming World Cup and is expecting good support from the fans during the tournament.
Nine Pakistan players were sent back from the country in January due to simmering tension at the border.
Pakistan coach Mazur ul Hassan hoped that since the two arch-rivals are not in the same pool, fans would apreciate their game in other matches.
Pakistan are placed in pool A alongside Germany, Egypt and Belgium while India are in pool C with Canada, Korea and Netherlands for the December 6-15 event.
"Our players are not nervous. It`s an FIH tournament and everyone wants to focus on game only. On the basis of my experience of playing in India, I can say that good Hockey will be encouraged. Our team can expect good support from the crowd as we are not in the same pool with India," Pakistan Junior Hockey coach Mazur ul Hassan told PTI-Bhasha from Lahore where the preparatory camp is being held.
Hassan, a member of Pakistani team during the 1982 Asian Games, said playing in India will be a memorable experience for his team.
"The beauty of hockey still lies in India and Pakistan. Artificial turf and new rules have ruined it partially but still you can admire the beauty of the game when India and Pakistan are playing. India has glorious past in hockey and produced legends. It will be a memorable experience for youngsters to play there," he said.
Captain Mohammad Umer Bhutta said the players are excited about playing in India.
"The atmostphere is same in both the countries as far as hockey matches are concerned. I have seen packed stadium in Delhi during India-Pakistan match in 2010 WC and I hope that it will be repeated when both the team face each other in Junior WC," said the striker who also played during 2010 CWG, London Olympic, Champions trophy and recently Asian Champions trophy in Japan where Pakistan won gold medal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees