Pakistan and India to play rugby for peace
Lahore: Arch-rivals India and Pakistan are to play a rugby final on Saturday, with officials and captains vowing to promote peace through sports.
The final is a rare sporting event between the South Asian nuclear rivals. New Delhi had stalled bilateral sporting relations in the wake of 2008 terrorist attacks on Mumbai, which India blamed on militants based in Pakistan.
Pakistan`s cricket team did play a short limited over series in India earlier this year -- their first since 2007 -- but that proved to be a one-off, as heightening tensions on the Line of Control in the disputed Kashmir region derailed the peace process.
But Indian rugby team manager Kulvinder Singh said the final will be the first step towards peace.
"I am happy that kids of below 19 years are starting this with the final," Singh told AFP. "I wish the oneness back between us and that we give a message of peace to New Delhi and Islamabad."
Singh said he feels Pakistan is his second home.
"I came here as a player in 1999 and now as a manager and have always felt at ease, got so much love and warmth that I feel at home," he said.
His mother came from Faisalabad and his father from Rawalpindi before the partition in 1947.
"I know there are so many derailments but I am sure Pakistan will take India as its brother and India would feel the same way," said Singh.
Indian captain Suraj Veer said he felt no problems in Lahore.
"It`s a wonderful feeling to be in Lahore and the affection is memorable," said Veer, adding he hoped his team will beat Pakistan.
Pakistan captain Dawood Gill felt the same way.
"Pakistan is making progress in rugby and I am sure my team will beat India but it`s all for the peace of the two nations," said Gill.
A Pakistan rugby team is also due to tour Mumbai next week to feature in the Asian Sevens, to be competed by 16 countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- In or out? Did Sidhu really quit BJP and join AAP!
- Rajnath Singh sends out stern message to Pakistan, says 'we don't need third party in Kashmir'
- Declare India a 'Hindu state', says Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray
- AN-32 search still on, ISRO satellite imagery sought
- What is the purpose of human life—Know here!