Pakistan Hockey Federation`s selection committee dissolved
Karachi: The Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF), in its first major overhaul after the 2012 London Olympics disaster, has dissolved the selection committee and named former chief selector Hanif Khan as the national coach, replacing Khwaja Junaid. "We decided to dissolve the selection committee because it doesn`t have a significant role anymore. It doesn`t have a role in Pakistan`s wins or defeats so it was only sensible to do away with it. The coaching panel will select the players and train them now. The role of a selection committee has grown obsolete now. None of the other countries have selection committees; they rely on the coaches for that," The Express Tribune quoted a PHF official, as saying.
Several Olympians and critics had called for a major revamp of the entire PHF set-up in the aftermath of the mega event in London, where the Pakistan hockey team finished seventh. Akhtar Rasool, the head coach for the London event, still holds his place but Olympian Ahmed Alam was added to the four-member coaching panel and was named the goal-keeping coach. Ajmal Khan Lodhi will serve as an assistant coach. Meanwhile, Hanif said he had no objections over the PHF`s decision to do away with the selection committee. "We have a lot of talent but we need to polish it. This requires a lot of work. I am keen on doing my job as the coach and I am confident that there will be a visible improvement, I have faith in our players," said Hanif. Olympian Tahir Zaman also retained his place as the coaching consultant for the senior and junior hockey teams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in