Pakistan`s hockey coach resigns
Islamabad: Akhtar Rasool Chaduahry, chief manager and head coach of Pakistan`s national hockey team, Tuesday resigned from his post after the national team`s failure to qualify for next year`s World Cup in Holland, Xinhua reported.
This is the first time since the start of the mega event in 1971 that Pakistan have failed to qualify to compete in the event, officials said.
Former Olympian Chaudhary sent his resignation to the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) saying it is the right time for leaving the position for younger people.
"I have served Pakistan hockey enough and now is the time for young people to come forward and contribute in the revival of the game," Chaudhary told the media.
The decision came after analysts and former Olympians started a media campaign against the current setup under whose management Pakistan team failed to qualified for the World Cup.
Chaudhary rejected the reports that he resigned due to team`s poor show in the Asia Cup. "It is not the matter, I have some other jobs to do in future. Our team played good but sadly missed chances."
Pakistan, having won the World Cup four times, had to clinch the title of the 9th Asia Cup tournament to qualify for the next year`s World Cup. But the team lost to defending Champion South Korea in the semifinal by a small margin last month.
Pakistan won its all pool matches with big margins and showed their enthusiasm to clinch the Asian title to qualify for the 2014 World Cup but their campaign ended when South Korea defeated them in semis by 2-1. Pakistan succeeded to win the bronze medal (third position) in the tournament by defeating the hosts side by 3-1.
The PHF will appoint new head coach and manager this week
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border