Pakistan`s hockey coach resigns
Islamabad: Akhtar Rasool Chaduahry, chief manager and head coach of Pakistan`s national hockey team, Tuesday resigned from his post after the national team`s failure to qualify for next year`s World Cup in Holland, Xinhua reported.
This is the first time since the start of the mega event in 1971 that Pakistan have failed to qualify to compete in the event, officials said.
Former Olympian Chaudhary sent his resignation to the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) saying it is the right time for leaving the position for younger people.
"I have served Pakistan hockey enough and now is the time for young people to come forward and contribute in the revival of the game," Chaudhary told the media.
The decision came after analysts and former Olympians started a media campaign against the current setup under whose management Pakistan team failed to qualified for the World Cup.
Chaudhary rejected the reports that he resigned due to team`s poor show in the Asia Cup. "It is not the matter, I have some other jobs to do in future. Our team played good but sadly missed chances."
Pakistan, having won the World Cup four times, had to clinch the title of the 9th Asia Cup tournament to qualify for the next year`s World Cup. But the team lost to defending Champion South Korea in the semifinal by a small margin last month.
Pakistan won its all pool matches with big margins and showed their enthusiasm to clinch the Asian title to qualify for the 2014 World Cup but their campaign ended when South Korea defeated them in semis by 2-1. Pakistan succeeded to win the bronze medal (third position) in the tournament by defeating the hosts side by 3-1.
The PHF will appoint new head coach and manager this week
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win