Pal, Sudha take honours among Indians in Delhi Half Marathon
New Delhi: Rahul Pal and Sudha Singh won the 2012 Delhi Half Marathon in the elite Indian men and women`s category respectively here on Sunday.
Rahul Pal clocked 1:06.12 hours beating second placed army man Nitender Singh by two seconds. Indrajeet Patel finished third, only one second behind Nitender.
Among the women, Olympian Sudha Singh won the elite Indians with a timing of 1:19.34. Kavita Raut, who won in 2007 and 2008, finished second with 1:06.53 while defending champion Lalita Babbar managed third with 1:20.47.
Sudha, who took part in London Olympics in the 3,000 metre steeplechase, trained in Eldoret, Kenya for six months before the Games to improve her timing by practising at high altitudes.
"My stint in Kenya helped me bring down my timings by almost eight-nine seconds. Training at higher altitudes helps you bring your time down when you run at sea level," said Sudha.
In the elite men`s section the race was won by Kenyan Edwin Kipyego clocking 1:00.55 while Yimer Wude of Ethiopia took the honours among elite women with a timing of 1:11.10 in the eight edition of the Delhi Half Marathon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family