Pallikal enters World Squash pre-quarters
Penang: India`s top squash player Dipika Pallikal entered the pre-quarterfinals of the Women`s World Squash Championship beating English qualifier Lisa Aitken 3-0 here Wednesday.
The 11-2, 11-6, 11-5 win over Aitken came as a relief for the World No.11 who entered the prestigious event without winning a main draw match this year.
Pallikal, who has not gone beyond the quarters at the Worlds, faces third-ranked Raneem El Welily of Egypt Thursday.
"The first round can always be a bit dodgy and I am glad played some good squash. Playing against Raneem will obviously be very tough but I am hoping to play well and take my first win off her," Pallikal told IANS after her opening round win.
She has the company of her coach and five-time World Open winner Sarah Fitz-Gerald. Asked whether the coach has set a game plan for her, Pallikal said: "Not really. We have not yet spoken about the game tomorrow (Thursday)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- DECODED: How 'Brexit' threatens to undermine U.S.-Britain special relationship
- Rajiv Gandhi's assassination: Yet to take decision on premature release of Nalini, Tamil Nadu tells Madras HC
- Geeta wants to undertake a train journey to search her parents
- Magnitude 5.5 quake hits near Chile's copper mining area, says USGS
- Colombia to get UN peace monitors, possible referendum