Pallikal enters World Squash pre-quarters
Penang: India`s top squash player Dipika Pallikal entered the pre-quarterfinals of the Women`s World Squash Championship beating English qualifier Lisa Aitken 3-0 here Wednesday.
The 11-2, 11-6, 11-5 win over Aitken came as a relief for the World No.11 who entered the prestigious event without winning a main draw match this year.
Pallikal, who has not gone beyond the quarters at the Worlds, faces third-ranked Raneem El Welily of Egypt Thursday.
"The first round can always be a bit dodgy and I am glad played some good squash. Playing against Raneem will obviously be very tough but I am hoping to play well and take my first win off her," Pallikal told IANS after her opening round win.
She has the company of her coach and five-time World Open winner Sarah Fitz-Gerald. Asked whether the coach has set a game plan for her, Pallikal said: "Not really. We have not yet spoken about the game tomorrow (Thursday)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA