Pallikal is first Indian to break into top 10
New Delhi: Squash ace Dipika Pallikal on Saturday became the first Indian to break into the top 10 of the world rankings.
Pallikal jumped three places to be ranked 10th by Women`s International Squash Players Association (WISPA) with 5175.75 points.
She was also the first Indian women to break into the top 20 in the WSA rankings. Three WISPA tour titles in 2011 saw her attain a career best ranking of 13.
A year ago, the 21-year-old from Chennai was ranked 17.
Her next target is to better her rankings break into the top-five.
Pallikal is coached by six-time world champion Sarah Fitz-Gerald of Australia.
India`s Joshana Chinappa also jumped a place to 31 in the year-end rankings.
Dipika has won the German Open, Dutch Open, French Open, Australian Open, Scottish Open on the European Junior Squash Circuit.
She clinched her first of three 2011 WISPA titles in September by winning the Orange County Open in Irvine, California. She notched up her second in the United States with another WISPA tour event victory. The third came in Hong Kong in the Crocodile Challenge Cup in December.
However, it was her performance in the World Open that shot her into the limelight. She finished in the top eight there.
Earlier this year, she was conferred with the Arjuna Award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!