Pallikal loses in pre-quarters of World Open
New Delhi: India`s Dipika Pallikal squandered a one-game lead to go down against Egypt`s Raneem El Weleily in the pre-quarters of the Women`s World Open Squash Championship in Grand Cayman Island in the Caribbean.
Pallikal, world ranked 10th and 13th seed in the tournament, lost to second seed Weleily 11-7 9-11 6-11 5-11 in 38 minutes at the South Sound squash club today.
The match witnessed short rallies, with the two going for their shots and scoring outright winners at regular intervals, with a few errors from both sides thrown in for good measure.
Pallikal`s shots held sway for the early part of the match but Weleily slowly found her range, levelled in a close finish to the second game and began to take control from the outset of the third.
"We have very similar games and it`s always close between us. She had me all over the court for a while so I`m pleased to be able to come through to win it like that, it was far from an easy win," said the Egyptian.
The Chennai girl had defeated Malaysian qualifier Delia Arnold 3-0 in the first round of the USD 188,000 WISPA event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi petrol pump staff allegedly dupe a guy and then say - "Our boss knows Kejriwal personally"
- This Carat keeps your phone battery healthy!
- Growth falls to 15-year low in Sub-Saharan Africa: IMF
- Four people dead, 2 wounded at an explosion in Tamil Nadu
- Not CM candidate, Rahul Gandhi to lead party across the country: Congress