Pankaj Advani creates history, enters pre-quarters of Welsh Open
New Delhi: Pankaj Advani on Wednesday created history by becoming the first Indian cueist ever to reach the pre-quarterfinals of the BetVictor Welsh Open Pro Snooker Series, defeating former world champion, England`s Shaun Murphy, 4-3 at Newport, Wales.
Eight-time world champion Advani, the only active player to compete at the highest level in both billiards and snooker concurrently in the same season, reigned supreme at the green baize to enter the Round of 16, where he would be facing either 2006 world champion Graeme Dott of Scotland or Ireland`s Fergal O`Brien.
"I`m ecstatic about this win. Defeating a player of Murphy`s calibre, that too in a main event, requires one to play out of his skin. I guess that`s what happened!" Advani said.
"The atmosphere was electrifying. Competing at such a high level and with family and friends all over the world watching live makes you realise you`re part of something massive. A grand occasion requires a grand approach," added Advani, who became the youngest Indian ever to win eight World titles in any sport, following his World Billiards title triumph in October last year in Leeds.
In the match between Advani and 2005 world professional snooker champion Murphy, the 27-year-old Bangalorean started with a bang in Frame 1, putting his opponent under pressure immediately with some exceptional potting to win it 75-15.
Murphy bounced back though in the second with a break of 71 to pocket the frame 100-10. Advani replied with the highest break of the match, a 121 clearance, to take back his lead in the third frame and then widened the gap with a 51 break to secure the fourth.
The match was all class with breaks and quality safety play. From here on, Murphy took the attack to his Indian opponent by winning the next two frames to enforce the decider.
What looked like a one-sided affair in favour of Advani turned out to be a cracker. The Englishman gathered enough momentum to tip the odds in his favour entering into the seventh frame but it was Advani who used his billiards prowess to make Murphy commit mistakes and concede points through fouls.
Advani then hit the final nail in the coffin with a well-crafted 36 break before Murphy surrendered the match at 64-15.
The commentary team was all praise for Advani`s display of world class snooker being a billiards expert. This is Advani`s first professional season.
Advani had defeated former world champion Peter Ebdon 4-3 to enter the draw of 32 in the Welsh Open.
Earlier this season, he defeated some of the big names in the Pro circuit like Steve Davis, Jimmy White, Nigel Bond, Alan McManus, Michael Holt, Mark King, Ryan Day and John Higgins to stamp his authority on the professional snooker world.
In the past, two-time Asian champion Yasin merchant had qualified for the Round of 32 in the Welsh Open during his stint on the professional circuit.
Scores: 75 (39)-15, 10-100 (71), 121 (121)-9, 72 (51)-13, 36-103(89), 28-72, 64-15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon