Pankaj Advani goes down fighting to Lee
Mumbai: Two-time world professional billiards champion Pankaj Advani squandered a 5-3 lead to go down 9-10 to world No 21 Stephen Lee of England in a pulsating final of the Rs 22-lakh prize money RKG-Khar Gymkhana Snooker tournament here on Saturday.
Advani took the first four frames to rock his more fancied foreign rival and then grabbed a 5-3 lead at the end of the first session of play in the morning.
A superb break of 137 unfinished, the only century sequence of the summit contest, was the Indian`s best effort in this phase.
But Lee came back into his own in the afternoon session to pocket the first five frames and lead 8-5 and then staved off a brilliant fightback from the Indian, when Advani led 9-8, by pocketing the last two frames to emerge triumphant.
Lee pocketed the winner`s prize money of Rs 5 lakh while Advani had to be satisfied with half of that as his share of the pool.
Results (Breaks in brackets): S Lee beat P Advani 10-9: 6-62(43), 0-72(72), 0-137(137 unf.), 58-68(50), 74(40)-47(47), 97(76)-0, 56-19, 0-75(75), 72(59)-10, 81-39, 65(51)30, 62-41(40), 73(72)-39(39), 41(41)-60, 1-92(75), 64-66(44), 1-79(54), 78(52)-25, 62-51.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Disrupted sleeping habits may cause suicidal thoughts
- US aid to Pakistan shrinks amid mounting frustration over militants
- SC asks Parsvnath to refund home buyers; builder says it can't repay
- Supreme Court admits plea to declare triple talaq illegal; issues notice to Centre
- Philippine govt, Communist rebels agree on indefinite truce: Norway