Pankaj Advani goes down fighting to Lee
Mumbai: Two-time world professional billiards champion Pankaj Advani squandered a 5-3 lead to go down 9-10 to world No 21 Stephen Lee of England in a pulsating final of the Rs 22-lakh prize money RKG-Khar Gymkhana Snooker tournament here on Saturday.
Advani took the first four frames to rock his more fancied foreign rival and then grabbed a 5-3 lead at the end of the first session of play in the morning.
A superb break of 137 unfinished, the only century sequence of the summit contest, was the Indian`s best effort in this phase.
But Lee came back into his own in the afternoon session to pocket the first five frames and lead 8-5 and then staved off a brilliant fightback from the Indian, when Advani led 9-8, by pocketing the last two frames to emerge triumphant.
Lee pocketed the winner`s prize money of Rs 5 lakh while Advani had to be satisfied with half of that as his share of the pool.
Results (Breaks in brackets): S Lee beat P Advani 10-9: 6-62(43), 0-72(72), 0-137(137 unf.), 58-68(50), 74(40)-47(47), 97(76)-0, 56-19, 0-75(75), 72(59)-10, 81-39, 65(51)30, 62-41(40), 73(72)-39(39), 41(41)-60, 1-92(75), 64-66(44), 1-79(54), 78(52)-25, 62-51.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption