Parupalli Kashyap advances in Swiss Open
Basel: World No.9 Parupalli Kashyap was the lone bright spot as all other Indian shuttlers lost their respective matches on Tuesday here at the USD 125,000 Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold.
In men`s singles action at St. Jakobshalle, only fifth seed Kashyap managed to advance to the second round while Sourabh Varma and K. Srikanth ended their campaign in the first round of the tier three tournament.
London Olympics quarterfinalist Kashyap eased past Hsuan Yi Hsueh of Chinese Taipei in straight games, winning 21-7, 21-19 in 33 minutes. This was the Hyderabadi`s second win in as many matches over the World No.75 Hsueh.
World No.43 Varma lost in the main draw of 64 to Indonesian 14th seed Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka in three games in 58 minutes. Rumbaka won 11-21, 21-18, 23-21 in their first ever career meet. While Srikanth went down in a spirited fight to Danish fourth seed Jan O Jorgensen 21-10, 17-21, 13-21 in 47 minutes. This was Srikanth`s first ever match against the World No.13.
Earlier in the day, Arundhati Pantawane, P.C. Thulasi and Tanvi Lad failed to qualify for the main draw of the women`s singles.
While Arundhati reached the second and final round of the qualifiers, Thulasi and Tanvi went down in the first round itself.
Men`s doubles specialists Manu Attri and B. Sumeeth Reddy also failed to make the main draw after reaching the second round of qualification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi