Parupalli Kashyap advances in Swiss Open
Basel: World No.9 Parupalli Kashyap was the lone bright spot as all other Indian shuttlers lost their respective matches Tuesday here at the $125,000 Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold.
In men`s singles action at St. Jakobshalle, only fifth seed Kashyap managed to advance to the second round while Sourabh Varma and K. Srikanth ended their campaign in the first round of the tier three tournament.
London Olympics quarterfinalist Kashyap eased past Hsuan Yi Hsueh of Chinese Taipei in straight games, winning 21-7, 21-19 in 33 minutes. This was the Hyderabadi`s second win in as many matches over the World No.75 Hsueh.
World No.43 Varma lost in the main draw of 64 to Indonesian 14th seed Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka in three games in 58 minutes. Rumbaka won 11-21, 21-18, 23-21 in their first ever career meet. While Srikanth went down in a spirited fight to Danish fourth seed Jan O Jorgensen 21-10, 17-21, 13-21 in 47 minutes. This was Srikanth`s first ever match against the World No.13.
Earlier in the day, Arundhati Pantawane, P.C. Thulasi and Tanvi Lad failed to qualify for the main draw of the women`s singles.
While Arundhati reached the second and final round of the qualifiers, Thulasi and Tanvi went down in the first round itself.
Men`s doubles specialists Manu Attri and B. Sumeeth Reddy also failed to make the main draw after reaching the second round of qualification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000