Parupalli Kashyap crashes out of Swiss Open
Basel: Top Indian shuttler Parupalli Kashyap crashed out of the Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament after losing to Wei Feng Chong of Malaysia in the pre-quarterfinals of the men`s singles event here today.
The fifth seeded Indian squandered a game advantage to lose to his ninth-seeded opponent 21-18 7-21 16-21 in a 55-minute contest.
London Olympics quarterfinalist, Kashyap opened up a 8-4 lead in the opening game but was caught up by the Malaysian soon. Both were neck on neck for a while before Kashyap broke away to take three straight points from 17-16 and bag the first game.
The Indian was surprisingly out of sorts in the second game as he trailed all through after being tied at 2-2. From there on, Chong took control as he reeled off nine straight points from 8-4 to easily grab the second game and set up a decider.
The decider was a gripping affair with the duo locked at 8-8 after an intense fight which saw none ready to concede ground to the other. Chong reeled off five straight points from 8-8 but Kashyap fought back to level at 13-13 and then 15-15.
Kashyap, however, lost the plot towards the close as he allowed his Malaysian opponent to win five straight points to trail 15-20 before losing the match.
In another men`s singles pre-quarterfinal match, H S Prannoy lost to Tien Chen Chou of Chinese Taipei 16-21 21-15 15-21 in an hour`s contest. Prannoy had stunned seventh seed Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand in the second round.
In men`s doubles, the Indian duo of Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Akshay Dewalkar was handed a straight-game defeat by the Korean top seeds Sung Hyun Ko and Yong Dae Lee, who won 21-14 21-12.
In the women`s singles, top seed Indian Saina Nehwal, who regained her second place in world ranking today, prevailed over Sashina Vignes Waran of France 13-21 21-15 21-12 in a 47-minute match to advance to the pre-quarterfinals.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?