PCI suspends treasurer for alleged misappropriation of funds
New Delhi: Paralympic Committee of India`s treasurer Gursharan Singh has been suspended for alleged misappropriation of government funds pending inquiry, the body said on Thursday.
PCI President Sultan Ahmed said that a three-member inquiry committee has been constituted to probe the alleged misappropriation of government funds by Gursharan.
"Mr Gursharan Singh, Treasurer Paralympic Committee of India has been suspended in the executive committee meeting held at Bangalore on 24th April 2013 held at Shree Kanteerava Stadium, Bangalore, for alleged misappropriation of Govt. Of India funds pending enquiry," Ahmed said in a statement.
The members of the inquiry committee would be M N Narasimhan, Additional Commissioner (Retd) Commercial Tax, Rajput, a chartered accountant and B N Anand, a High Court advocate.
The PCI has been embroiled in an internal strife within the organisation and a scuffle broke out between the rival factions during its Annual General Meeting here on March 30.
The AGM was indefinitely postponed after Ahmed informed the members that a Bangalore-based court has restrained the body from holding any meeting.
Unhappy after Rathan Singh had stopped discharging his duties as the general secretary for last two-three months, the PCI had appointed Sathyanarayana as the secretary-in-charge. A miffed Rathan had filed a civil suit in a Bangalore court against the body.
Rathan himself was recently told to step down from his post by the Sports Ministry under the controversial Sports Code on the ground that he has attained the age of 70.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- PM Modi calls for dialogue, accepts development alone can't bring 'lasting solution' to Kashmir
- Seoul, Washington start war game despite Pyongyang's backlash
- Manjula Chellur sworn-in as Chief Justice of Bombay High Court
- Gionee S6s smartphone with 8MP front camera launched at Rs 17,999
- Karisma Kapoor just shared a major throwback picture with sister Kareena and we LOVE IT!