PCI suspends treasurer for alleged misappropriation of funds
New Delhi: Paralympic Committee of India`s treasurer Gursharan Singh has been suspended for alleged misappropriation of government funds pending inquiry, the body said on Thursday.
PCI President Sultan Ahmed said that a three-member inquiry committee has been constituted to probe the alleged misappropriation of government funds by Gursharan.
"Mr Gursharan Singh, Treasurer Paralympic Committee of India has been suspended in the executive committee meeting held at Bangalore on 24th April 2013 held at Shree Kanteerava Stadium, Bangalore, for alleged misappropriation of Govt. Of India funds pending enquiry," Ahmed said in a statement.
The members of the inquiry committee would be M N Narasimhan, Additional Commissioner (Retd) Commercial Tax, Rajput, a chartered accountant and B N Anand, a High Court advocate.
The PCI has been embroiled in an internal strife within the organisation and a scuffle broke out between the rival factions during its Annual General Meeting here on March 30.
The AGM was indefinitely postponed after Ahmed informed the members that a Bangalore-based court has restrained the body from holding any meeting.
Unhappy after Rathan Singh had stopped discharging his duties as the general secretary for last two-three months, the PCI had appointed Sathyanarayana as the secretary-in-charge. A miffed Rathan had filed a civil suit in a Bangalore court against the body.
Rathan himself was recently told to step down from his post by the Sports Ministry under the controversial Sports Code on the ground that he has attained the age of 70.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore