Pelican playmaker Davis replaces Kobe in All-Star Game
New York: New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis was named Friday by NBA commissioner Adam Silver to replace injured Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant in next week`s 63rd NBA All-Star Game.
Davis, a member of the US gold medal team at the 2012 London Olympics, will make his first appearance at the annual showdown of elite talent in his team`s home arena when the Eastern and Western Conference squads meet on February 16.
Davis, 20, is averaging 20.5 points, 10.5 rebounds and an NBA-best 3.3 blocked shots over 40 games for the Pelicans.
Despite playing only six games this season because of a fractured left knee, Bryant was voted into a starting spot in the All-Star Game by NBA fans.
Because Bryant is not yet fit enough to play, new commissioner Silver -- who replaced David Stern last Saturday -- had to name a new member of the Western Conference roster.
But it will be West coach Scott Brooks, appointed because his Oklahoma City Thunder had the best record in the conference, who decides which All-Star player will replace Bryant in the starting line-up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Bizarre! Saudi man sexually assaults maid, wife faces jail