PHF calls off three-nation hockey tournament
Lahore: Pakistan Hockey Federation on Wednesday called off its planned three-nation international hockey tournament this month after India pulled out of the event.
India`s pullout came after Malaysia, the third team in the proposed tournament, withdrew two days back. The PHF had scheduled the tournament from April 9 to 13.
"It is with deep regret that we have to announce that India has said it can`t send its team for the competition," PHF secretary Asif Bajwa told a press conference.
"In the last two years, we have been to India several times and have invited them to come to Pakistan and assured them full hospitality and security. Unfortunately neither the federation nor their government has responded to us in the same way," a disappointed Bajwa said.
He said the Indian hockey federation informed the PHF today that their foreign ministry had advised them not to send the team to Pakistan due to security concerns.
"The Indian foreign ministry feels security situation in Pakistan are not ideal for international hockey that is why India is not coming," he said.
Bajwa said that they planned the tournament in Lahore only after getting confirmations from India and Malaysia. "Both teams said they would send their team. But we will not lose hope and try to keep on making efforts to organize international events in Pakistan. The tour by China in December last year showed that there were no security issues for international teams playing in Pakistan.
"We are obviously disappointed with this development because Malaysia had also first confirmed they would take part in the event and then pulled out two days back," he added.
Bajwa said after Malaysia`s withdrawal the PHF was hoping for a test series against India.
"We were hopeful that we could at least host Test series with all matches planned in Lahore," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor