PHF fines rebel players for WSH participation
Lahore: Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) has imposed a hefty fine of Rs 10 lakh each on senior hockey players Rehan Butt and Shakeel Abbasi for playing in the unsanctioned World Series Hockey in India.
Six other players including Zeeshan Ashraf, Waseem Ahmed, Imran Warsi were also fined Rs 2.5 lakh each for the same offence.
The fines were imposed by the PHF on the recommendations of its disciplinary committee. All the players have decided to appeal against the punishment.
Butt, who has already filed an appeal with the PHF, said, "I am not in a position to pay such a heavy fine as hockey players don`t earn much in their careers. In the appeal, I`ve also assured the Federation that I will take permission before participating in such leagues in the future. I hope they accept my apology and let me off."
Abbasi said he was also in the process of sending his appeal as it was impossible for hockey players in Pakistan to pay such heavy fines.
"It is like our life savings because we don`t earn much from the game," he said.
Meanwhile, a source in the PHF said the Federation itself wants to wrap up this controversy so that they are eligible for selection.
"The chances are PHF President will reduce the fine amount within a week`s time to settle the matter," he said.
"The PHF disciplinary committee recommended hefty fines on Butt and Abbasi under the impression that both had earned handsomely in the lucrative WSH," a source in the disciplinary committee suggested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Delhi High Court notice to CBI in Chhota Rajan fake passport case
- Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon in Brussels for EU talks
- Know the final recommendations of 7th Pay Commission in a nutshell
- Malala Yousafzai becomes millionaire with book sales, lectures