PHF fines rebel players for WSH participation
Lahore: Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) has imposed a hefty fine of Rs 10 lakh each on senior hockey players Rehan Butt and Shakeel Abbasi for playing in the unsanctioned World Series Hockey in India.
Six other players including Zeeshan Ashraf, Waseem Ahmed, Imran Warsi were also fined Rs 2.5 lakh each for the same offence.
The fines were imposed by the PHF on the recommendations of its disciplinary committee. All the players have decided to appeal against the punishment.
Butt, who has already filed an appeal with the PHF, said, "I am not in a position to pay such a heavy fine as hockey players don`t earn much in their careers. In the appeal, I`ve also assured the Federation that I will take permission before participating in such leagues in the future. I hope they accept my apology and let me off."
Abbasi said he was also in the process of sending his appeal as it was impossible for hockey players in Pakistan to pay such heavy fines.
"It is like our life savings because we don`t earn much from the game," he said.
Meanwhile, a source in the PHF said the Federation itself wants to wrap up this controversy so that they are eligible for selection.
"The chances are PHF President will reduce the fine amount within a week`s time to settle the matter," he said.
"The PHF disciplinary committee recommended hefty fines on Butt and Abbasi under the impression that both had earned handsomely in the lucrative WSH," a source in the disciplinary committee suggested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire