PHF seeks government help to proceed with planned India series
Lahore: The Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) has sought help from its government to proceed with a bilateral series with India, planned for March-April this year.
PHF President Akhtar Rasool told PTI today that the planned six-match series could only be possible if the two governments gave clearances.
"We have written to the Ministry of Inter Provincial Coordination and Foreign Ministry to help us in making this series possible," Rasool said.
The Olympian said whenever a bilateral series had been planned in the past, the Indian government had not given clearance for it.
"This time both federations want to have this series and that is why we are using government channels to convince the concerned Indian ministries to give clearance to this series," he said.
Rasool said that if the series, that include three matches in India and three in Pakistan, took place it would help Pakistan overcome its financial crisis.
"We are facing a financial crunch because we have been promised grants by the government but they have not yet been released to us. The PHF is also thinking seriously about whether it is worth it to spend millions of rupees on sending the national team to the Azlan Shah Cup in Malaysia when with a much lesser amount we can organise a grand national tournament in the country," he said.
Pakistan hockey is going through a major crisis in the last few months with the PHF admitting that it has become difficult for it to even send teams for international tournaments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi