PIL to be moved in Cal HC on harassment of Pinki Pramanik
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Thursday permitted a PIL to be moved on the alleged harassment of Asian Games gold medallist Pinki Pramanik.
A division bench presided by Chief Justice of the Calcutta High Court J N Patel today allowed Bharati Mutsuddi, a former West Bengal Women`s Comission member, permission to move a PIL tomorrow before the court after she mentioned the plight of Pramanik.
"Everybody has the right to live with dignity as per the Constitution, but Pinki is being publicly humiliated. They are yet to establish the gender. She is helpless, so we are moving the PIL," Mutsuddi said.
The retired middle distance runner arrested on June 14 has been accused of being male and of allegedly raping a live-in partner, a 30-year-old estranged woman.
The West Bengal Human Rights Commission has also directed the home, health and police departments to inquire into the alleged `inhuman torture` on Pramanik in police and jail custody and submit a report within two weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder