Pinki Pramanik gets bails after 25 days in custody
Kolkata: Asian Games gold medalist Pinki Pramanik, arrested after a woman charged that the athlete was a male and had raped her, was today granted bail by a court in North 24 Parganas district after spending 25 days in judicial custody.
The bail was granted by the Barasat court to Pramanik, whose chromosome pattern test report to determine her gender was received by the SSKM Hospital yesterday.
Pramanik was arrested on June 14 after she was accused of being a male by live-in partner, a 30-year-old estranged woman who also alleged she was raped.
A PIL was moved in the Calcutta High Court on July 6 alleging inhuman torture on the athelete.
The court has directed the West Bengal government to file an affidavit within two weeks on the progress of the investigation.
The West Bengal Human Rights Commission has also stepped in and directed the home, health and police departments to inquire into the allegations of 'torture' on the athlete in police and jail custody.
Pramanik had won the 4x400m relay gold in the 2006 Doha Asiad and silver in the same event at the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games.
Pinki had bagged three gold medals in the 2006 SAF Games in Colombo when she won the 400m, 800m and 4x400m relay events.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference